Statistics by Statista indicate that there are about 22.7 million social media users in Canada. Further studies through a 2017 RBC Small Business poll reveal that most Canadians demand more opportunities to engage with local businesses online through social media. 75% of the respondents said that they were willing to support local businesses by helping to promote them on social media. If these revelations are anything to go by, it’s certain that those local businesses that are utilizing social media have a good chance at biting a bigger piece of the pie, as far as getting customers is concerned.
The important questions here are – are you utilizing social media? If so, how effective is your social media strategy? Being on social media is one thing, but utilizing it to its full potential is another thing. If you haven’t been too keen about this online marketing tool, these facts may get you to change your social media strategy:
Not Monitoring and Controlling your Online Presence has Dire Consequences
Being on social media is not enough. You have to closely monitor and control your online presence. Leaving your social media account unmonitored can have serious consequences, including:
- Infestation of malicious apps and attacks: Unmanned accounts are open to harmful software, ranging from spyware, adware and malware.
- Exposure to phishing scams: Scammers find unmonitored accounts as a gateway to target customers with bad intentions.
- Breach of privacy: Hackers can tamper with privacy settings and easily take control of uncontrolled social media accounts, giving them power to sabotage a brand’s image.
- Loss of confidence by customers: Lack of constant monitoring means that customers’ feedback and concerned won’t be addressed in good time. This leads to reduced confidence by customers
There’s Great Need to Consistently Produce Good Content
Your social media channels reveal the public persona of your business. In other words, they form the voice of your brand. Therefore, the content and opinions shared through your social media channels will be taken as the opinion of your brand as a whole. Consequently, it’s crucial that anyone who has access to those channels be well briefed on the tone of voice to use when interacting with other users. To ensure that good content is consistently produced, your social media team should be trained on social media etiquette, online crisis management, and on how to uphold brand reputation.
Social Media Management Tools are Extremely Important
These tools can help a business to:
- Effectively manage multiple social media accounts
- Minimize risks of malware attacks and scams
- Keep up with social engagement
- Manage customer relationships
- Streamline team collaboration
- Increase social accountability
- Monitor relevant keywords, such as brand mentions, brand-adjacent terms and competitors
As social media managers, we can help you effectively monitor and control your online presence. We’d be happy to talk with you about how you can completely change your social media strategy to the great benefit of your business.